Friday, March 14, 2014

23 Mobile Things - Thing 17 - Connecting to Community

So many apps, so little time!  Thing 17 provided a super list of regional apps.  I have wondered how you find out about local apps and am still not sure the best way to find them.  Doing a little research on my own for this "thing," I did a couple of regional app searches in the iTunes store.  Here are my results:

Searched for: Elk River, Minnesota - 0 results found
Searched for: Sherburne County, Minnesota - 0 results found
Searched for: Minneapolis, Minnesota - 29 results found
Searched for: Hennepin County, Minnesota - 0 results found
Search for: Minnesota - 371 results found

Although I am in the CMLE region, the apps listed under the Arrowhead Library System were of the most interest to me.  Of all of those listed, these are the apps I chose to try out: Highlights of the Superior Hiking Trail, UpNorthExplorer, Minneapolis by Open Places, Going Out, Minnesota 511, Explore Minnesota and MN Museums.  I was already using the Minnesota State Fair and MPR Radio apps.

Highlights of the Superior Hiking Trail

My husband and I enjoy being outdoors and the Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) is on our to-do list.  We took our first hike on the SHT in 2008.  This first hike took us on the Kadunce River section, which is Hike #11 on the app.  I really like how the app breaks down the SHT into hiking sections.  I am looking forward to hiking Carlton Peak (Hike #7) and the Oberg Mountain Loop (Hike #8) this Fall, and the Bean and Bear Lakes Loop (Hike #4) looks like a must do, too!

Our 1st Hike on the Superior Hiking Trail (2008)


UpNorthExplorer

Since we love to go on road trips, this app may be useful. Using the Explore and Events features in the app could help find destinations to explore and activities to do.  I was surprised to find a recipe section in the app.

Minnesota State Fair

Photo Credit: Zoma Olson

I have used this app for several years and it has become a valuable asset to our Minnesota State Fair adventures.  I use the Food Finder and the Fun (Entertainment) Finder the most.  The map also comes in handy.

Our daughter's boyfriend is a member of the vocal band, Six Appeal.  Six Appeal tours around the country, and for the last couple of years have performed at the Minnesota State Fair.  This year (2014), Six Appeal will be performing at the Minnesota State Fair on the Leinie Lodge Bandshell on August 27 and 28 (2014).  Be sure to find them on the Minnesota State Fair App and check them out!  You will not be disappointed!


Six Appeal performed on the International Bazaar Stage in 2013

Six Appeal at the 2013 Minnesota State Fair

Six Appeal's cute "merch" girls.  My daughter is on the left.

I use a few local apps that were not listed in Thing 17 which might be of interest.


Coborn's (grocery store)
Coborn's is a regional grocery store chain and we have a store in Elk River.  This is where I do most of my grocery shopping.  The Coborn's mobile app syncs with their website.  After you create an account, you can create shopping lists, find coupons and also search recipes.  I like that I can pull up my current grocery list on my phone when at the store...no more post-it notes!




Building a Grocery List on the Coborn's Website (http://www.coborns.com)
Grocery List Built on Website, Synchs with App
Recipes on Coborn's App
Coborn's App Homepage






















RefillRx Mobile
I use Goodrich Pharmacy in Elk River for my prescriptions.  Goodrich uses the RefillRx Mobile app for prescription refill requests.  I don't know what other pharmacies use this app, but it is quick and convenient.


RefillRx Mobile App

No comments: